Friday, September 21, 2012

A reminder why I volunteer

I get invitations to a variety of fundraising parties for area gay organizations -- Affirmations LGBT Center, Equality Michigan, and Ruth Ellis Center. Paying $175 or more for a meal, booze, speeches and entertainment doesn't seem like my idea of fun, even though I donate much more than the ticket price to all of these organizations.

But volunteering to help put on one of these parties -- to help raise money -- is a different matter. So I worked at the Ruth Ellis Center event last evening at MOCAD, Museum of Creative Arts Detroit, and featuring Wanda Sykes.

My part of the event started a week ago at a volunteer meeting at the Center. We met Jeanine, who was the organizer, and heard about our tasks. Jeanine would get to MOCAD before noon with the wine. Somebody was donating 35 cases of white wine (as well as red) and there was a big discussion about keeping it chilled. Incompletely chilled white wine was a big issue last year. Companies were hired to set up a small stage area, supply food, supply flowers, provide web streaming, provide security, provide valet parking, set up the bars, and set up a tent over the sidewalk. In addition GM would park a Cadillac in the middle of the side street (closed off). A few kids from the center created some art work, mostly photographs, and that had to be hung for the silent auction.

Yeah, that looks like a lot of money going out the door, but the event last year cleared $100K.

In addition to all that, center volunteers and youth did set-up, helped with the silent auction, ran the check-in desk, handed out gift bags, served as doorkeepers, ran the three bars, and took photos of the event.

I had to teach yesterday afternoon, so arrived at MOCAD after 5:00. I was assigned to help with the auction, but there really wasn't a lot to do.

At 5:30 the VIP guests started to arrive (I think their tickets were $375 each). They were promised a bit of face time (perhaps photo time) with Wanda. I just stood near part of the auction display, though I suppose I was "helping" to keep the crowd out of the main room, or more accurately standing near the woman who was saying, "This room isn't open yet."

When the rest of the guests were allowed in at 6:30 I was stationed by the big door to make sure everyone had a name tag, the proof of payment for the evening. If there was no nametag, I directed them to the check-in tables down the sidewalk.

I took a break shortly after 7:00 to get some food. For a while I felt a little guilty about eating the fine food when I hadn't paid for it and hadn't done a lot of work that evening. But then I thought of the many weeks over the last four years I've worked at the Center and donating to them for the privilege. I stopped feeling guilty and enjoyed myself.

The speechifying started about 7:30. A couple board members expressed their welcome and regret that, Laura, the executive director was in the hospital. Then Wanda came on. She's a lesbian comedian, but didn't launch into an act. Instead, she told how she became involved with Ruth Ellis Center -- Laura had invited her -- and how much she was affected by meeting the kids, many of whom are homeless because they are gay. It was a touching story.

Wanda then served as master of ceremonies. She introduced a representative from PNG Bank, who announced a donation of fifteen thousand dollars. Wanda said, "And I'll match that. You said, 'fifteen dollars.' Right?" That got a good laugh.

Wanda then introduced a short video about two Ruth Ellis Angels. These were board members who have been with the Center since it was founded more than a dozen years ago. The board members spoke and stories were also touching, a good reminder why I go there nearly every week. I knew one of those board members, but had never met the other.

That was about it for the program. Guests dispersed slowly and the auction was officially closed at 9:00. It was then I helped with the auction. I cut the plastic ties that held the photos to the wire mesh they were mounted on.

At one point after the program I talked to Rosemarie, the woman I "helped" during the first hour. One of her four sons is gay and another does publicity for the Center (alas, he was in San Diego). Rosemarie said she felt called to help out at the Center and, in particular, felt called to be "mom-in-the-kitchen" cooking meals for the kids. You can be sure I connected her to Henry, the volunteer coordinator. And he doesn't let volunteers slip away. That little discussion -- hearing her passion and his ready acceptance -- was another high point of the evening. It looks like I'll be sampling some of her meals, then washing the pots she used.

At 9:30 it was time to clean up. There wasn't a lot for us volunteers to do, because each company packed its own stuff. I headed to my car at 10:00.

Would I help at another such event? Probably. Would I pay money to attend? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment