Thursday, May 9, 2013

Powerless

My afternoon yesterday was interrupted. The power went out. The golf course next door, since it went out of business two years ago, hasn't been maintained. Even when it was, they weren't all that good about removing dead trees. One of those trees fell over on top of a utility pole. That by itself didn't cause the power interruption. It was cut when the crew started cutting the tree down.


The only thing to do was sit on the front porch and read while enjoying the fine weather. I considered using my netbook, but its battery was low. The power came back on a couple hours later, just as I was ready to leave for my time at the Ruth Ellis Center -- after I had opened the garage door by hand.

I'm thankful that when the power was cut the programs I was using had backup versions of what I was working on. Power has been consistently on recently, so I haven't been saving as frequently as I should. But it's not like I didn't have warning the power might be cut -- the crews lounged around the circle in front of my house all morning and by the time they got down to business they had a half-dozen trucks filling the circle.

While I was in the back yard I took a few pictures. The redbud is in bloom.


And the crabapple is too. I'm quite pleased because it doesn't bloom every year (and I have no idea why).


Alas, I missed taking pictures of the azalea and the star magnolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment