Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Oh nuts!

When I started visiting my nutritionist she determined soy was a problem for me. At my visit yesterday she tested and found that because I've been avoiding soy my ability to heal is better. I had been eating veggie burgers and veggie sausage which, of course, I gave up. Though I wasn't trying to be vegan, I was cutting down on the amount of meat. To replace soy I switched to peanut butter and ate lots of nuts for snacks.

Alas, yesterday she determined nuts and nut butters aren't my friends. Now that I'm well stocked up. It looks like I'll be switching my snacks to cheese or hummus.

The nutritionist's office sent out a newsletter yesterday. Part of it is about how genetically modified soy has been so successful that the price of soy has dropped. That convinced lots of food processors to add soy to lots of products. And that has meant I no longer consider them for my meals. But there is another problem not listed in ingredients. The big reason for genetic modification is so the plant will create its own pesticides. So all those food products that have added soy have also added pesticides. Yum.

Solution: read ingredient lists carefully. I'm thinking there is another way out of the dilemma: if it has an ingredient list, it probably isn't a good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment