Monday, March 9, 2020

What a black ally looks like

I survived the night under a duvet. The heating repair guy was here shortly after 8:00 this morning. The problem was the thermostat, which has been replaced. My house is warm again. I’m disappointed the old thermostat lasted only 8 years.



The Michigan primary for the Democratic nominee for president is tomorrow.

I’ve said several times over the last year my candidate of choice is Elizabeth Warren. Alas, Super Tuesday happened while I was gone (I did check results the next day) and Warren dropped out. As did Bloomberg (see what spending a half billion got him). Buttigieg and Klobuchar exited just before Super Tuesday (won’t have to type those names for a while). Looks like Steyer disappeared too.

That leaves Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. At one time, back when the Democratic field had two dozen candidates I made a list of how I felt about all of them. Sanders and Biden were at least in the problematic category, perhaps lower (at the top were Warren, Booker, and Castro – no white men). Bernie seemed to be an angry man with a white savior syndrome. Joe couldn’t keep his hands off women (fortunately it was just his hands and just their back or shoulders).

So I am left with a choice between two I don’t like all that well. I like that Bernie wants a revolution in politics, but can’t seem to draw the support to make it happen. In addition, he can’t seem (or doesn’t want) to rein in the misogyny of his most ardent supporters. I don’t like that Joe seems content with restoring a pre nasty guy era, leaving intact many of the things that led to the rise of the nasty guy.

I’ve read the Detroit Free Press endorsement of Biden (though I think their opinion that Joe can reach bipartisan solutions is naive given the current GOP) and what Freep readers say about both men. On my walk this morning I mentally listed advantages and disadvantages of each.

I was able to make my decision after reading a short piece by Cheryl Deniece tweeted by Fernand Amandi. Deniece explained why black people like Biden. He is an old rich white man and he played second fiddle to a powerful, young, smart black man. He did so not for a couple days, but for eight years. Biden did not undermine the black man, but willingly became the wing man. What other “establishment” white politician has ever done that? This is what a black ally looks like.

That explanation earns Joe a vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment