Friday, October 22, 2010

Stewardship of your vote

I'm the Stewardship Guide for my local church. For those not into churchspeak, a steward is one who takes care of something that belongs to someone else -- we're to take care of things given to us by God. It's my job to remind others to be stewards of things they've been given, such as the environment, personal abilities, and right to vote. For that last bit, I wrote the following for my church newsletter. This morning I sent it out through email (which means some of you are now getting it twice) and I'm pleased to get back reports that it will be included in other church newsletters. Pass it on!

We have been given the gift of democracy through the hard efforts of our national founding fathers and the generations of Americans since then. We sometimes get complacent with this gift because it has always been there for us. However, if we are to be stewards of the gifts given to us we must take the responsibilities of democracy seriously. Always vote.

There are many issues at the state and local level affect our lives. This might be an off-year election, but our state and nation might be profoundly affected by who takes office. Always vote.

I've heard that some think that all politicians are crooks and it doesn't matter which party gets the vote. While there are days I might agree with you the two major candidates for any office are never identical. Vote for the better candidate if you can. Vote for the less worst if you must. Always vote.

I've seen Christian voter guides that rate candidates based on some criteria. This isn't one. I won't rate candidates. I won't tell you who to vote for. I won't even tell you who I am voting for. Instead, I'll describe what principles — Christian principles — that guide my decisions. And they aren't what one normally sees in Christian voter guides. These are some of the things I look for:

* Does the candidate stress cooperation, a sense that we're all in this together, that we are responsible for each other? I will choose that person over one who shouts about the fear of the stranger or insists no one should take his money in taxes.

* Does the candidate have compassion for the poor and look for ways to help the less fortunate improve their circumstances?

* We have inherited a vast array of jointly owned property and institutions, from national parks, roads and highways, water and sewer works to libraries, hospitals, schools and universities, museums and concert halls, and public services willing to help anyone who needs it. Is the candidate willing to maintain and improve our shared resources or let it crumble into dust?

* Does the candidate look for ways to safeguard the average person from the greed and recklessness of the powerful?

* Does the candidate consider the health of all, including the poor? I will choose that person over one who only considers what profits can be made through the health care industry.

* Does the candidate look for ways to safeguard the health of the environment?

* If the candidate talks of the unborn, does he or she also talk about quality of life after birth?

Vote wisely. Vote with compassion. Vote for health. Always vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment