Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fury v. hassle

I got an email from Rebuild the Dream requesting I take part in Move Your Money on or before today. I didn't because I do my checking through a local credit union.

Newsweek has an article about moving money out of the big banks. They say the big guys aren't worried because so many people now do online automatic payments and to change banks they have to go to the website for each bill to change the account designation. Too much of a hassle in spite of the fury at the big guys. Little banks are now coming up with "switch kits" to help you through the process.



Daniel Stone in Newsweek notes how many GOP Congressmen spout about how much the government should reduce spending, yet as long as the gov't is doling out cash they work hard to get the billions into their district.



A couple days ago I wondered: Why do we insist our health care be provided by our employers?

Pam Spaulding of Pam's House Blend takes a look at that issue. To save money employers are starting to penalize employees who refuse to tackle serious health issues, such as obesity. I paid attention because I'm in an insurance mandated program now (fortunately, I've lost enough weight that I won't have to participate next year). As I've experienced, these programs tend to be inflexible (why should I wear a pedometer when I get so much more exercise on my bike?) and there will always be some who have a medical reason why it won't work (such as pain pills that cause weight gain). Will they be penalized?

Pam notes the reason for these systems of imposing penalties is the corporate bottom line, not the health of the employee. Our employers should not have health care as a business expense. That leaves us with a universal health care system, or Medicare for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment