Friday, July 12, 2013

Nepal a match for Iowa

I love maps. So I spent some time looking over this collection of 22 maps of America, showing various aspects of our big country. My two favorites are the one which shows the westward shift of the mean center of population, and the one which matches each state with a country of the same size. Since we see US maps and world maps on different scales we don't get a feel for how big some countries are. New Zealand is about the size of Colorado, Japan is similar to Montana, Nepal is about the size of Iowa, and North Korea is the size of Mississippi. Another map of interest shows where our ancestors came from. I was surprised at the number of counties where German ancestors outnumber English ancestors. I'm puzzled about the designation of "American" ancestors (and American Indian is separate).

No comments:

Post a Comment