Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Living in harmony with the earth

Thursday, August 29
I started the day by packing up, storing the luggage, and checking out of the hotel. Then it was off to the National Museum of the American Indian. I'm not sure it is named properly because they don't particularly like the term “Indian” and the museum is about native people from North, Central, and South America. It is quite a place, mostly because it is native people telling their own story. Alas, a big part of it is the clash and decimation from contact with Europe. I appreciated hearing about their beliefs in living in harmony with the earth. This photo shows a panel that describes a part of it.


Compared to the other museums on the Mall, this one has a great cafe. All of the food is native to the Americas served in traditional combinations.

From there I walked to a particular hotel to meet my cousin who lives in the area. It is at least 20, perhaps 25, years since I've seen her. It was one of those conversations where by the end I was wondering why we had waited so long. She has a gay son and her views of the church are quite similar to mine. She was excited to hear what kind of conference is the reason for this trip. Alas, we had only an hour to talk before she had to dash off to another business meeting.

I spent the rest of the afternoon at the National Gallery (until it closed) then to the Old Post Office and its bell tower. That gives decent views of the city, such as this one down Pennsylvania Ave.


I then stuck around outside until the Washington Ringing Society got their evening practice session well underway in the tower. Yeah when your thing is to do change ringing on tower bells you have to practice on those tower bells. Here's the exterior of the tower.


Alas, I didn't find a nice restaurant (not too expensive) on my way back to the hotel. So it was fast food hamburger. Then to the hotel to collect luggage, and head to the Convo convention center. Before boarding the Metro I made sure my farecard had enough money on it for that and the bus. Then one stop, change trains, then to the edge of DC. I took a moment to study the local map of where to find my bus. Once on the street, the bus was right there across the street! Until I was 20 feet from it. I checked the posted schedule. It had actually left a minute early. And the next one wouldn't go for a half hour. Since the center was only 1 1/2 miles away I figured I could walk it (dragging a suitcase) and get there faster. Which I did. It was after I had walked a while that I realized I could have gotten a taxi. Oh well. At least my feet were up to it. So my farecard still has two dollars on it which won't get used.

No comments:

Post a Comment