I've added a new class to my schedule this year and a few of my students are freshmen of the traditional age. That prompted me to check out this year's Beloit College Mindset List. This is a list of cultural things that have been true since this year's freshmen were born, which was about 1996. A few of the items from this year's list:
* Two-term presidents are routine, but none of them ever won in a landslide.
* When they see wire-rimmed glasses, they think Harry Potter, not John Lennon.
* Joe Camel has never introduced one of them to smoking.
* Hell has always been associated less with torment and more with nothingness.
* Whether to embrace fat or spurn it has been a front page debate all their lives.
* Bill Gates has always been the richest man in the U.S.