Sunday, January 11, 2015

Challenging the condemnation

Last week I complained that NPR gave the microphone to Rev. Allen Edwards who has same-sex attractions but married a woman. I was annoyed that Edwards hit most the anti-gay talking points, such as to please God a man must marry a woman or be celibate. I was annoyed that there was no on-air rebuttal.

Today NPR did broadcast a rebuttal, given by … Allen's gay brother Dexter.

Dexter said:
I was kind of frustrated that NPR made this a news story because I feel how detrimental it can be to other people. I understand that it's an opinion and it's a lifestyle choice, and that everyone does and can choose what they want to do, but I would never want this to harm anyone.

I just want to be a voice of encouragement to people that have come through it or are going through it — or are in the closet and don't feel comfortable because of people like this,
NPR found out about Dexter because he had shared his rebuttal with the gay magazine The Advocate. He spoke out because he knows how damaging Allan's story has been to other gay youth.

That article shares a telling tidbit. When Dexter was 19 he came out ("a terrible experience") and was asked to leave his parent's house. He moved in with older brother Allan for a month. Later, Dexter realized it was during that time that Allan decided to fight his same-sex attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment