Friday, January 9, 2015

No free pass

After posting the long article about obesity yesterday I felt the need of a bit of clarification. While I cited source that said being obese is not a detriment to health that does not give us a free pass to eat anything we want. It is easy to think that if obesity doesn't matter to health than I'll throw all diets out the window and eat to please my tastebuds.

Nope, sorry, it doesn't work like that. For example, while it appears obesity isn't connected to clogging of arteries, something in our food is. Alas, there is some dispute about what those somethings are.

The top undisputed items on the bad food list are trans-fats and sugar. In time for Halloween John Oliver did an 11 minute segment on the harms of sugar.

Only slightly disputed (except by the companies that use them) are the harms of preservatives in processed foods.

And then we get into disputed areas, such as whether the problem is fat or carbs. There seems to be growing research that carbs cause all sorts of medical issues.

One more thing, as mentioned by my nutritionist: what may be healthy and acceptable foods for you may not be the same for me. For example I am experimenting whether I should embrace or limit cheese. In addition, most beans are not a good choice for me.

If you are eating healthy (and getting exercise) then my post from yesterday says don't worry about weight. If you're not eating healthy you risk many of the health issues ascribed to obesity.

No comments:

Post a Comment