Friday, February 27, 2015

Broccoli and garlic

Yeah, the last time I posted something was more than a week ago. There are a dozen things in my browser tabs to mention. I may get to some of them eventually, others may have to be passed over. I usually write for this blog in the evening, but I've had events every evening since I last wrote. Some of it was the usual rehearsals. Other things were concerts in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Tchaikovsky Festival (of which the event describe here was a part), and the showcase event at the college where I teach that gave the music and dance students a chance to show what they can do (so perhaps now they'll come back to class).

About six weeks ago I took swabs from the inside of my cheeks to send to a company to have the genetic material analyzed. This was recommended by my nutritionist, mostly because she thought there was some missing detail preventing a stable weight and optimum health. Thing are getting better – my skin rash, usually worse during cold weather, is showing improvement. But there appear to be lingering toxins or parasites.

This genetic test did not screen for genes associated with disease (such as cancer). Instead, it correlated genetic markers with components in exercise and diet. It came up with these recommendations through a compilation of research into such topics.

After some delays (they later sent me a note apologizing that their computer didn't tell me the report was ready) I was able to see my Action Plan. There is a long section of the genes they test, whether I have a variation, and how I should change my diet to compensate for it. Fortunately, most of them said no action required. More useful was the summary, the list of things I should do. They include such things as getting enough A, B, C, D, and E vitamins as well as omega-3. A few other recommendations were:

* Reduce smoked meats, including meats grilled over an open fire. Alas, most hams are smoked and my favorite cheese is too. I should also avoid second-hand tobacco use. Now that Michigan restaurants are smoke-free, that's easy to do. I think the reasoning is my body treats the smoke as a toxin.

* Eat lots of broccoli or cauliflower. Not a problem.

* Eat lots of garlic and onion. Oops, big problem. My nutritionist suggested garlic pills that don't have a taste or stink up my skin.

* A single daily serving of alcohol (and red wine in particular) may help with cholesterol. I don't drink, so it will be quite a while before I try it (if at all).

* Use enough olive oil every day. Not a problem.

* Reduce saturated fat. I can easily switch from coconut oil to olive oil in most of my cooking. But the recommendations cut into the fat from meats and cheeses. My nutritionist said their guideline is too low. Then she said something a bit troubling – some of the studies included in their compilation were probably from the Food Industry and Diet Industry with biased results. These are the same studies my nutritionist has been contradicting for the last 18 months. If I had known that I may not have paid the big bucks for the genetic test. I hope the reduction in smoke and the garlic pills are the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment