Friday, March 13, 2015

The devil made me do it

The latest cover of Time shows Hillary in silhouette. It has been a bad week for her. Many have noticed that her head is positioned in such a way that the "M" in the title makes her look like she has devil horns. Yeah, a lot of conservatives think that is quite appropriate. When called out on it Time essentially said, gosh, that happens a lot. They put together a slideshow of 34 covers that appear to give people horns. Whaddaya gonna do with that big "M" in the name?

Melissa McEwen of Shakesville isn't satisfied. An independent woman, such as Hillary who "writes her own rules" as the Time article says, is already dehumanized as a harpie, demon, or devil. Time should not be feeding that narrative. And since this "happens a lot" then the magazine staff knows about it and has the power to prevent it.

I let my subscription to Newsweek run out about a year ago. After a while I realized I missed having the news analysis. Too many news websites have way too much fluff and not enough analysis. I thought about giving Time a try. Now I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment