Thursday, November 30, 2017

My furnace learned a new trick today

When I got out of bed this morning the room was cold. I looked at my indoor/outdoor thermometer and saw the indoor temperature was 5F below what it should have been. Turning the thermostat off and on did nothing to rouse the furnace.

I looked online for a highly rated heating company. The closest one appeared best, so I called. I was surprised when the agent said someone would be there in a half hour. And he was!

After a while he came up from the basement and said he got the furnace to run. But the circuit board looked about to give out. Overall, furnaces tend to last 20 years and this one had lasted 24. Replacing an expensive circuit board didn’t seem wise. He gave me a quote for a new furnace and left.

A couple hours later I realized I hadn’t really warmed up. The thermometer showed the temp had dropped again. I called the heating company and said let’s do the new furnace. The agent said she would talk to the service man and get back with me.

After lunch I heard the furnace come on. The temp had dropped 5F. The furnace ran until the temp was back to my setting, then shut off. And stayed off until the temp had dropped 5F.

I heartily agree a furnace that drops 5F before turning on is a lot better than one that doesn’t turn on at all. It is cold outside! – though still above freezing.

The heating company isn’t sure whether the installation is tomorrow or Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment