Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Kalispell to Bar Harbor to San Antonio

Since the House of Representatives has scheduled a vote on whether to impeach the nasty guy for tomorrow, rallies in support of impeachment were held this evening. They were organized by Move On, Indivisible, Public Citizen, and many more.

I took part in one in the suburb of Ferndale. When they were first announced this one was closest. The start time was 5:30, though protesters were gathering before 5:00. We were along both sides of Woodward Ave (Detroit’s main street that extends into the burbs) just north of Nine Mile, so downtown Ferndale. I stayed on the east side and could see the crowd on the west side extended at least a block. I think my side also extended at least a block, but I couldn't see to be sure.

We held signs that could be read by the traffic on Woodward Ave. Since it was already after sunset some signs even had lights around them. One sign called for the removal of “Benedict Donald.” A guy near me held up a copy of the Mueller Report book.

A lot of the cars that passed us honked in support, so it was rather noisy. The chants (some led by bullhorn), drums, and cowbells added to the din.

A reporter and cameraman from CNN talked to three men near me for several minutes. If you happen to see it I’m probably in the background, just past one of the men’s shoulders. Occasionally wiping my nose.

But it wasn’t very warm, just below freezing. I managed to hold out for almost an hour. They seemed to still be going strong when I left. Alas, I didn’t take pictures. I had left the camera in the car. Besides, it was dark. A few people took pictures of me and my sign, so I’m likely on social media somewhere.

This was only one of such events across the country. The Move On Twitter feed has pictures from many of them. In looking through the feed I see photos and videos from (in whatever order I saw them) Detroit, NYC, Portland, Phoenix, Riverside, CA, Fort Lauderdale. Boston, Philly, Chicago, Madison, Montgomery County, TX, Morris, MN, Healdsburg, Lexington, San Rafael, Denver, West Palm Beach, Boulder, Seattle, Minot, San Francisco, Bar Harbor, Raleigh, Baltimore, Buffalo, Dayton, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, St. Paul, Kalispell, Cleveland, San Antonio, Austin, San Jose, Tucson, Lansing, Omaha, Birmingham, Huntsville, Louisville, Knoxville, St. Petersburg, Jackson Hole, Reno, Houston, Los Angeles, Kansas City, New Orleans, Springfield, MA, and even Dems Abroad in Toronto.

Stand Up America says that 200,000 people had signed up to attend the protests.

No comments:

Post a Comment