Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Living my best life

My plan for New Year’s Eve: About 11:50 I’ll find a livestream of Times Square. 12:00 I’ll watch the ball drop. 12:02 I’ll shut down the livestream, turn off the computer, and go to bed.



The English Department of Lake Superior State University has released their 45th annual list of words that should be banished due to misuse, overuse, and general uselessness. The first list, published on Jan. 1, 1976 was entirely created by the faculty of LSSU. Since then the list has been made up from nominations from around the world. Excerpts from this year’s list:

Quid pro quo. Most nominated.

Curated. An attempt at making something more than it is. Barb of Ann Arbor says, “Save it for the museum.”

Influencer. According to Urban Dictionary, “A word Instagram users use to describe themselves to make them feel famous and more important when no one really knows who they are or care.”

Literally. A word that has begun to serve as its own antonym. It is being overused to add emphasis to a figurative expression.

Living my best life. Are there options for multiple lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment