Saturday, August 24, 2013

Need a spoon?

I'm in Washington DC now. The 4:00 flight to Baltimore was properly uneventful. Once luggage was collected I faced a choice. The inexpensive commuter rail doesn't run on weekends. Do I wait up to an hour and pay $22 for Amtrak to Union Station or do I go for something cheaper? Penny-pincher that I am, I went for cheap. Six bucks for a bus from the airport to the end of the Metro line. Five bucks for a reusable discount transit card and another five bucks on the card. Total transit time was 1:45 (including the bus stopping at the light-rail station and doubling back to the airport). Then it was a 3 block walk to the hotel. The closest door was to the restaurant and the waiters all wore tuxedos. I guess I won't be dining there. The guest services book in my room confirmed my guess on prices.

It was about 8:00 when I got into my room. I had only a bit of snacking since lunch. Time to hit the peanut butter. That's when I discovered my travel spoon had not actually gotten into the suitcase. So I ate a bit with fingers.

I'm at Thomas Circle and my upgraded room has a balcony. Across the circle is a 24 hour drugstore. I went over there to take a look. They indeed have spoons – in boxes of four dozen. I bought and the total bill was less than $3. We'll see how many I break by the end of the trip.

I did find a deli on the other side of the circle that I can use for breakfast. Alas, it isn't open on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment