Wednesday, June 29, 2022

LGBTQ artists

I spent a few hours today seeing what I could of the Mighty Real Queer Detroit art display. The exhibit has been going on all month and (as I tend to do) I saw it on its second to last day. This is a display of art by LGBTQ artists, though as I saw today not all of it had obvious LGBTQ themes. The show was to launch for Pride month in 2020 (of course, didn’t happen). It happened this time in big style. While relaunching it the whole thing grew. The 2022 version has over 100 artists at 17 venues. Most of the venues are small galleries. And they’re not all close together. I didn’t bother with the one in Mt. Clemens (an hour from my home) or the ones in West Bloomfield. I thought about the ones in Hamtramck and the outer reaches of Detroit, but didn’t get to them. I did get to six venues in the Detroit Midtown area, all within walking distance. I tried for one more on the border of downtown, but a street was closed. These were the small venues. I could see a gallery’s MRQD display plus all their other art (if there was any) in about a half hour or less. I saw them all in four hours. That included walking time and lunch – one of the venues is a cafe. Some of the art was intriguing. Some of it left me thinking that’s art? Part of the problem was the venues displayed only the artist, title, and medium and in some of them that was on a sheet by the door. There was no attempt to describe what the artist was doing. Between the Lines ran an article about the exhibit, which is how I learned about it. Sheesh, I spend a few days writing a special post for this blog (see Tuesday’s post) that happens to coincide with big news, and I accumulate another 40 browser tabs. I had time to read (or skim) the articles, but not time to bring them to your attention. And today about all I have time to do is catalog the tabs. to make a list by topic. Actual writing will have to wait until tomorrow or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment