Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm Back!

My trip to Alaska with my parents was a success. While life on a big cruise ship was enjoyable (one does not go hungry) and comfortable, such a life doesn't suit me well -- too much emphasis on glitz and grubbing for money.

Highlights of the trip:

Visiting Mendenhall Glacier outside of Juneau (though the Visitor Center is in serious need of a snack bar or restaurant).

The bus ride from Skagway to Carcross, Yukon and the White Pass and Yukon train from Frasier back to Skagway. We even saw bears and caribou along the way.

The glaciers of Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

The train ride from Whittier to Denali Park. Denali showed itself when we were in prime viewing location. Alas, the trip is 10 hours.

The Husky Homestead visit to the kennels of Jeff King. He has run the Iditerod 18 times and won it 4 times.

The Wilderness Tour in Denali Park. They only allow bus tours in the park. Though Denali remained hidden, we did see caribou, mountain sheep, moose, bears, several ptarmigan, and a lynx.

A day in Sitka with a chance to see the Russian Orthodox Church there.

The Science Fiction Museum in Seattle. The gift shop was way too small and I would have appreciated a larger museum. It is in a Frank Gehry building.

A chance to visit with my brother and his family (including a niece in Shanghai through Google-Talk) and another niece and her family, both in the Seattle area.

Yes, I took lots of pictures -- about 250. I won't be posting them because they are on film and I don't have a scanner. I'll be picking them up from the developer tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment