Monday, March 30, 2009

Sitting in the dark to demonstrate public concern

I probably should have posted something about Earth Hour in time for you to take part in it (the event was last Saturday). However, I wasn't completely out of it -- I did tell my church. For those who didn't hear, Earth Hour was an event to draw attention to environmental issues by turning off all unnecessary lights for an hour. The event is promoted by the World Wildlife Fund and 2009 was its third year. This time over 4000 city governments worldwide participated. There were also tens of thousands of corporations and millions of private citizens turning out lights. WWF says it was the "largest demonstration of public concern" in history. I mention it now because Boston.com assembled a series of pictures showing city scenes before and during Earth Hour. Click on each image (except the first) to fade between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment