Sunday, April 19, 2009

Applying scissors to the sacred text

Jack Rogers wrote the book Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church. It's on my list of books to buy, though at the moment I have a closet full of books I haven't read yet. This posting is an interview between Jack Rogers and Toby Rogers, the author's son and the book's editor.

While that is worthwhile, what caught my attention is one of the comments. That writer (an atheist) says that while it is good to make the Christian religion more gay-friendly (or at least less homophobic) there are still some problems. The big one is that the religion's source-text still has passages that are easily interpreted to condemn gays (we know this because of the extent they are used on us now). There will always be those who will interpret those words in the wrong way, the same way there will always be people who claim the bible says men are superior to women (though there aren't many non-Jews who demand we restore Kosher dietary laws). Once you edit the bible to remove those that condemn gays (and mention slavery, male superiority, etc.) and then add words that explicitly stress human rights, equality, and personal dignity, only then will this particular writer consider paying any attention to it.

Alas, I'd be very nervous about who claims authority for the rewrite -- unless it's perhaps me. ;-) But I would face condemnation from many who were equally convinced I had done it wrong. I don't need to be the author of another Jefferson Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment