Monday, October 17, 2011

Gay stories

I saw the movie Weekend this afternoon. Basic plot: one gay man picks up another at a nightspot and they spend much of the weekend together. In addition to the stuff such pickups are for, they spend time getting to know each other and challenging each other to be out. The review site Metacritic gave it a score of 81 out of 100. Film festivals give it awards. I was personally underwhelmed and have been wondering why I feel that way. I guess it is because not much happens. The characters really don't change much during the story.

I've finished the novel The Sower by Kemble Scott. The basic premise is that the main character, a gay man, finds he has been "infected" with the antidote to AIDS, which also cures all other diseases. The only way to pass it on is through sex -- not even blood transfusion works. I was hoping to read about the crumbling of various power structures as they realized promiscuous sex, in this case, can be good for humans. Alas, there was only a hint of that at the end of the book. Most of it was an action thriller as various forces tried to prevent the cure from being passed beyond the first person. Even so, the author pulled off a few twists I didn't expect. There is a "2.0" version of the story available only for digital reader devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment