Thursday, October 13, 2011

That's so gay

There is a new book out, The Last Testament; a Memoir by God with "ghostwriter" David Javerbaum, formerly of The Daily Show. According to this book it really was Adam and Steve in the Garden of Eden. There is an excerpt on Gawker. Enjoy the fun.



Last year I heard a student use the phrase, "That's so gay" to refer to something that was so far out there she had no hope of learning it. I had heard the phrase before, usually to mean something dumb or stupid. And, yes, it came from high school kids who were derogatory to gays and transferred the slur to other things. When I heard it in class I was caught off guard. But in the next class session I introduced the students to a few gay composers (Copland, Tchaikovsky, Barber, Menotti) and said I admired their music so much that I would take the phrase, "That's so gay," as a compliment. I didn't hear it again.

In the Oct. 7-9 issue of USA Weekend, which comes with my Sunday paper, there is a large ad, "Using gay to mean dumb or stupid -- not cool. Not in my house. House Rules. A message from the NBA and its players." Good to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment