Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is there a bell player in the house?

This evening was the Christmas party at the Ruth Ellis Center. The Michigan Gay Rodeo Association brought and served a fine dinner. They also brought a Santa Sack and raffled off the various gifts. Most were DVDs of gay movies (such as Milk) or CDs of artists the kids liked. There were also lots of bags from Meijer which, I think, held canned food. Each kid got one. There were also fleece blankets for all.

The featured entertainment was a brass quintet from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. During December various small ensembles of the orchestra visit homeless shelters on the metro area. They played arrangements of Christmas carols. One of them asked Jessie, our program coordinator, if there was someone who could play the jingle bells. She immediately nominated me. The arrangement assumed one of the trumpeters would play the bells, so I was handed a copy of the trumpet part. Off we went. I handled the first bell entrance just fine, but the second was after 14 measures of rest. I was thrown off my count because the other trumpet player turned to me and said something, but that seemed early. The first trumpeter said something, but I didn't catch it. The horn player then said, "Just play." So I did. Not exactly an auspicious ending. Even so, I played with members of the DSO!

Well after the official festivities when the kids were dancing Jessie suddenly said we had to close early. Something inappropriate (drugs?) was found in the restroom. That left the volunteers scrambling to package up the leftover food for the kids to take with them.

I suspect next Wednesday will be the New Year party.

No comments:

Post a Comment