Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Lots of zeros

I had lunch with my friend and debate partner today. After greeting him I said that my car was sitting in the parking lot with an odometer reading of 99998. So, yes, on the way home my car passed 100,000 miles. This is the car that was hit almost two months ago and repaired. I've had it 8 1/2 years. It is only the second car I've owned to reach that milestone. The first was my very first car, purchased in 1978, and it "rolled over" -- the five digits of the odometer went to all zeros. After that I worked for a car company and got the employee discount, so kept a car for only five years at the most. This car, purchased the year before retiring from the auto industry, now displays six digits for miles.

Alas, I didn't actually witness the one with the string of zeros. Between the lively conversation at lunch and the thick traffic afterward I didn't think of looking at the odometer until after I had stopped at a store. By then the right digit was a "2." The switch to six digits happened on Ford Road, at about the time I passed under I-275.

Sigh. I didn't think I would feel so disappointed in not seeing the string of zeros. Part of my says I'd have to drive another car over eight years to be able to see it again and every time I glance at the six digits I'll be reminded I missed it. Another part reminds me it is just a car and just a number, of small consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment