Sunday, April 27, 2014

You can apply to another

Yesterday I was at the meat counter and bought a turkey drumstick. The counter man commented about how big it was -- big enough that I didn't buy two. This morning I prepared my crock-pot for turkey soup. In went water, herbs, a bit of olive oil, and the drumstick.

That's when I found the drumstick was too big for the crock-pot.

It almost fit. But enough stuck out that the lid didn't seal.

After the morning church service I headed to the Detroit Institute of Arts to see their Samurai exhibit and to hear a couple of my professor colleagues perform in the Rivera Court. I also had lunch in the café and took in the other special exhibits for a lovely afternoon.

When I got home I saw that much of the turkey was still pink. So I had something else for supper. I searched the kitchen for a pot big enough (hey, I cook for one) and finally found a disposable roaster I bought (and used as a lid) last Thanksgiving. I transferred the drumstick and dumped in the broth, then put the whole thing in the oven for an hour. Alas, roasted turkey isn't as easily deboned as crock-pot turkey. I'll have soup tomorrow.



A friend responded to yesterday's post, part of my ongoing discussion of affirmative action and same-sex marriage in Michigan. He linked me to a similar story in the Detroit Free Press. The view in that article is different from the on in the National Review. Some of the Freep's article's major points.

Yes, a right to an education is different than a right to marriage. If you're denied admission to one school you can apply to another. That option doesn't exist in marriage.

Michigan AG Bill Scheutte talked about his favorite quotes from the affirmative action ruling (the case he won). These are the parts about the Supremes being in favor of big issues being decided at the ballot box. But he also said he does not apply the same reasoning to the marriage case. He has already said he will abide by however the Supremes rule on same-sex marriage (not that he could do anything else).

So Scheutte won't use the AA case against us. But conservative members of the Supremes certainly might throw Anthony Kennedy's words back at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment