Sunday, July 19, 2015

A lesbian wedding

I forgot to mention that yesterday that it was the first day this summer hot enough for me to turn on the air conditioner. I don't think I've previously waited until the middle of July for that milestone. It is also a good long time, perhaps two months in which I've run the furnace only once. So far, it has (for me) been a low-energy summer.



I attended a lesbian wedding this afternoon! The happy couple are members of my church. They've been together for 23 years. The ceremony was held in their back yard. A canvas and screen gazebo served as the central platform with much of the small yard filled with tables with umbrellas. I stood under an umbrella. The brides did not dress up – they wore t-shirts, slacks, and sport shoes. Our pastor was there but did not officiate (staying within church policy) – an almost retired lesbian (I think) Episcopal pastor conducted the ceremony, which lasted about 20 minutes. I guess there were about 30 guests. They served a nice lunch afterward (though many of us had just eaten at the church potluck). Some of us stayed around talking for another hour. And that was it. We were ready to get home to the air conditioning.

It was so nice to hear, "By the power invested in me by the state of Michigan..."

No comments:

Post a Comment