Sunday, August 16, 2015

San Antonio in August is hot

Yes, it has been a while.

Back on August 4th I flew to Austin, Texas. My brother's family were in the midst of putting on a summer musical through an organization that provides performance experience for home-schooled kids. The show was Seussical. My brother's son and three of his grandkids were in the cast. His wife was head of the costume crew, his daughter was choreographer, and another son was in the pit band.

On Thursday, August 6 I took Greyhound to San Antonio to attend the Reconciling Ministries Network Convocation. My report of Convo is on my brother blog. Though Convo ended a week ago it took that long to write my report (in the midst of trips to visit my dad).

Convo was held in Travis Park United Methodist Church. The current sanctuary held its first service in 1886. It was enlarged in 1902. Among other additions was a youth wing completed in 1950. As part of that a cool stained glass window was installed. The whole thing is 50 feet high and was the tallest in America at the time. Here it is. I'm standing outside the east side of the building with the late afternoon sun shining through the glass.


Yes, San Antonio in August is hot. Late afternoon temperatures hit 100F every day. Even so, two of the three evenings I had supper along the River Walk and spent time before eating stretching my legs by walking around the central loop or along the San Antonio River up- or downstream of the loop. Here's a picture of a bit of the River Walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment