Sunday, March 25, 2018

Be loved for who I am

Between the Lines, Michigan’s LGBTQ newspaper interviewed a couple new pop singers that caught my attention. Those who know me would be surprised at that statement – I rarely listen to pop music. They didn’t catch my attention because of the music (which doesn’t come across in a newspaper), but what they’re singing about.

The first is Calum Scott. He wowed judges at “Britain’s Got Talent” in 2015. Since then he’s shifted from counseling one-on-one to counseling from the stage, being the “out, gay shoulder to cry on.” I listened to a couple songs. While I don’t particularly care for the music (nice stuff, not my style) I like his words. Some of those lyrics:

If our love is wrong I don’t ever wanna be right.”

“So I got good at keeping secrets
I used to blend in with the crowd
But on the inside I was screaming
With you I didn't have to hide

Only you, could see that I was hurting
Only you, ever cared to understand
Always know, that I'd do do the same
I'd do anything for you, my friend
It's true”

The other singer is Trey Pearson. He used to be the frontman for a Christian rock band. Then he came out as gay. That, of course, threw a big wrench into his career. In November he released a new album titled “Love is Love” and is about his coming out. It was harder to find the lyrics online, so here’s just one:

Hey Jesus can you hear me out
I just want to love like everyone else
I was wonderin' since you made me this way
Do you want me to fall in love?
To know what it’s like to love someone else
In the most intimate way
'Cause I know that I could never change
I tried so hard, brought so much pain
And I just wanna be loved for who I am”

Now I’ve probably messed up my YouTube recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment