Saturday, March 17, 2018

Gay teen love story

After I see a movie at the cineplex I like I wander around and look at all the posters for upcoming movies. Since the usual cineplex shows only big release movies, I tend to see a lot of posters for the next superhero flick, whatever Disney and Pixar will release soon, the latest horror movies, and the next screwball comedy. Most of those don’t appeal to me. And, of course, there are no posters for the independent films and the foreign films.

During my movie watching spree back in January I saw one poster with a film title, the image of a young male actor, and not much else. Most poster will say “Coming Soon” or “Coming March 16.” This one said, “Coming out March 16.” Yes, that little word caught my attention. I made a note of it.

The movie is Love, Simon and it is indeed a gay love story. A big deal (at least in the gay press) is being made of this being the first gay teen love story by a major Hollywood studio and receiving wide release.

Yes, it hit theaters yesterday. Yes, I saw it today. Yes, it is rare for me to see a movie during the opening weekend. And, yes, it was wonderful.

The story is about Simon’s senior year in high school. He hasn’t come out to anyone yet. One reason is he is annoyed that straight people don’t have to come out. That comment is followed by a series of scenes in which each of his friends has that dramatic moment of telling their parents they are straight followed by the reaction gay youth frequently see.

There is apparently a website for students of the school to share things going on in their lives, a social media platform. Simon sees a post from another youth coming out, but using the pseudonym of “Blue.” Simon, calling himself Jacques, begins an email correspondence with Blue. And then wondering who Blue really is.

Another student finds out about this correspondence and blackmails Simon into setting up a date with one of Simon’s friends.

I’m reluctant to say more because I don’t want to spoil the story when you see it. And I recommend you do.

I will say there is very little homophobia. Simon’s reasons for not coming out make sense and don’t include shame. When the other students find out most of them root for him. Once he tells his parents their response is wonderful. He asks his mother, “Did you know?” She replies, “I knew you had a secret. … But these last few years more and more it’s almost like I can feel you holding your breath. … You get to exhale now, Simon.”

A very well done gay teen love story by a major Hollywood studio and receiving wide release. More, please. Though don’t restrict it to teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment