Monday, November 2, 2009

This wasn't exactly how I intended to spend my time

I got an email from the Triangle Foundation, a gay advocacy organization in Detroit. They said that today they were hosting a phone bank in support of the gay rights ordinance up for a vote in Kalamazoo. Since I didn't get to Kalamazoo to campaign in person I signed up. When I got there at 2:00 I found they had already gone through the thousand names in Kalamazoo they had been given and were now calling Triangle supporters in Detroit, simply reminding them of tomorrow's election. From the nature of the Foundation they can advocate on issues, but cannot endorse a candidate, even with an openly gay candidate running for Detroit City Council. If I had known I might have spent the afternoon at home calling people in Maine.

Along the way I heard that the Triangle liaison was surprised to only get 1000 names from Kalamazoo. She complained the effort there isn't all that well organized. I can believe it. I didn't spend a day going door to door in Kalamazoo because when they first contacted me it was only the day before they asked me to come (it's 2 hours one way from my house to Kalamazoo). I said no to that date and asked for another with a bit more warning. I never heard back. Of course, this disorganization gives me a bad feeling about the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment