Wednesday, November 3, 2010

That agenda thing

My comments over the last month (and since I started this blog nearly 3 years ago (!)) should make my view of today's election results obvious. I'll let you find the national results on your own. I'll only ask how could so many millions of people be so completely hoodwinked?

When I get time to read other sources I'll report on the gay specific results. I'm posting now to comment on John Boehner's speech from last night (and if you don't know who he is, lots of press articles will remind you). One phrase caught my attention. "The president sets the agenda."

Well, actually, Congress is quite capable of setting its own agenda and up to perhaps 40-50 years ago, frequently did. I've read studies (alas, no links) saying that when Congress does so the country is frequently better off. Which means…

The GOP has no agenda other than obstructing the president.

Boehner is already laying the groundwork so that when Americans are fed up with inaction (or worse) in Washington the president gets the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment