Sunday, November 18, 2012

Political homophobia is dead

After the election I noted that Puerto Rico voted for statehood. Timothy Kincaid of Box Turtle Bulletin is used to misleading polls showing how much mainstream America still despise gay people. So he took a look at the results of that Puerto Rico election and found something similar. I'm not sure I can explain it, so I'll leave it to him.



Political homophobia is when a politician is for gay rights, but feels he/she can't actually do anything because it would upset the voters and he/she would be booted out of office. Dana Beyer of Gender Rights Maryland says this election marks the death of political homophobia.



Yesterday, I wrote that Dems won a majority of the House votes, but not a majority of the House seats. I lamented I couldn't remember where I read this discrepancy reduces John Boehner's hand in negotiations over the fiscal bluff. Well, I found it. Terrence Heath writes about what voters were voting for and how much that contradicts what the GOP is selling. It is definitely not a mandate, as Paul Ryan tries to spin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment