Thursday, March 20, 2014

Not so alarming

I had mentioned the problem of the alarm going off in my car when I unlocked it with the key. So last Monday I took it back to the collision shop. One of their guys looked it over and said that the problem was in the latch, which probably wasn't damaged in the accident. He would have to turn the car over to the dealer who would charge about $80 just to open up the door to look at the problem. Then there would be parts and labor to fix it. I agreed the latch had prevented me from closing the door a couple times (pushing against a piece fixed the problem). The shop guy suggested unlocking the door with the fob instead of the key. That didn't set off the alarm, so is an acceptable work-around.

My friend and debate partner says that Michigan has the finest collection of potholes in the country -- too bad there isn't any road between them. He went on to lament how busy the state legislature is in ignoring the problem. Well, I hit one of those monsters yesterday evening. A black hole in a black street at night with insufficient street lights can be hard to see. This morning I noticed a cracked hubcap. Yesterday's drive home and today's trip to the college didn't show any difficulty, so I guess nothing major was damaged. Yes, this happened on the third day of getting the car back from major repairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment