Thursday, November 29, 2018

Strange blog stats

This blog is hosted on Blogger, now owned by Google. I’ve been using this system for the entire 11 year history and 3869 posts of this blog. I forgot to mention the blog anniversary a couple weeks ago.

I think more than a year ago (hard to tell because I can’t get some types of past data) I started getting spikes in the blog readership. In one hour there would be 75 or more page reads while page reads in other hours would stay under 10. They would happen about every other day. Those same days there would be a spike in readership in Italy of about the same number. I thought that was strange so I did the “send feedback” thing wondering if there was a problem. I never got a reply and the situation continues. I’ve been getting about 2,000 page reads a month.

Then in the middle of this month. I got a spike of 7,661 page reads in one day. I think (though can no longer check) that most of those page reads were in a very small number of hours. A couple more spikes in the following days, so the total for four days was 13,511 page reads.

Yeah, really strange, especially since that is three times the total number of posts on the blog. Even stranger, the Traffic Sources report says all those hits were linked to my blog from google.com. All came from within the United States.

That makes me wonder if someone or several someones downloaded the entire contents of my blog. Perhaps they want to do some kind of data analysis of what I’ve written? If so, for what purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment