Friday, May 6, 2022

Then multiply that by one million

Michigan’s COVID data, updated Wednesday, shows another rise. The weekly peak in the number of new cases per day for the last three weeks has been 1993, 2462, and 3103. I see that all three of those peaks are higher than the pandemic’s first deadly peak at the beginning of April 2020. I checked an old data set from the end of last September. I’ve mentioned a few times the state adjusts numbers as more information comes in and more analysis is done. In the September 2021 dataset the low point in the number of new cases per day around the end of June that year was 256. The weekly peaks through August 2020, a year earlier, were in the 1700-1800 range. In this week’s dataset the peak around the end of June 2021 was 1004 and the peaks through August 2020 are in the 2850-3130 range. A lot more cases were uncovered. In the last four weeks the number of deaths per day has remained at 14 or fewer and in the single digits most days. Though the CDC data I just looked at says we have 5,400 to go, Mark Sumner of Daily Kos discussed what 1 million deaths due to COVID looks like. A number that large is hard to grasp. Right now doesn’t seem to be the right time to look at the lies and indifference that got us to this point.
Instead, try another form of memorial. Spend one minute and imagine it was you. If you’re young, imagine what impact your loss would have to your parents, your siblings, your friends, your coworkers. If you’re older, imagine your absence in the lives of your children or what it would mean to your partner. Take one minute and imagine a you-shaped hole, not just in the events of today, but every day to come. Forever. Then multiply that by one million.
Laura Clawson of Kos wrote this post shortly after a low level judge struck down the mask mandates for airplanes. She collected ways to respond to those who ask why you still wear a mask or demand you take it off. Heather Korbulic: “Because if I’m going to catch COVID it’s going to be from spending time with people I love and care about, not a tube full of people who don’t mind their own business.” Sue Kachoo quoting her son: “I treat ppl who have Covid/‘other contagious diseases’ so I have been exposed. But if you feel comfortable I’ll take it off.” Michael Eisen: “I have contagious critical race theory.” Dr. Monica Verduzco-Gutierrez: “My clinical practice is now 75% #LongCOVID and has a 4-month plus wait list.” Sedna51: “How much of my medical history will it take for you to shut up and leave me alone?" NomeDaBarbarian: “It's a trick question, though, because like hell am I getting on a plane right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment