Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Chased away

Yes, I did get to the Ruth Ellis Center yesterday. It hadn't started to snow by the time I left there after 9:00, though we did get about a half inch by this morning. There wasn't much of a crowd for the supper hour, so we served tuna melt and grilled cheese sandwiches. I didn't think we needed three adults to make only a dozen sandwiches, but April was in charge. She didn't know how to make them, relying on me to remind her to put the butter on the outside. She dabbled the butter on with a fork, rather than spreading it with a knife. My job was to "cut the cheese," which produced some laughter even when I substituted the word "slice." Monty cut the sandwiches in half and scooped out the tuna salad for the few people who wanted it in their sandwich on separately on the plate.

I took part in the men's discussion group that evening to talk about my view of what the bible says about gays -- and found them to be quite uninterested. That was supposed to be my big reason for volunteering there. It seems the church had quite thoroughly chased them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment