Saturday, December 13, 2008

Protest too much?

I probably won't do well in a debate because it sometimes takes me a while to figure out exactly what I see wrong in someone elses statement. One such moment of clarity came today in response to yesterday's viewing of John Stewart interviewing Mike Huckabee. The Huckster at one point said something like, "Just because I want to preserve the sanctity of marriage doesn't make me a bigot."

Fine, Huck, we'll let that one slide. But…

* Lying as part of your efforts to preserve the sanctity of marriage;
* Refusing to consider our side of the issue;
* Comparing us to terrorists when we protest the outcome;

Does.

1 comment:

  1. My friend comments:

    Huckabee and his fellow Righties "confuse" (exploit) the two meanings of marriage -- civil and religious. "Sanctity" (i.e. sacredness) is a religious word. He / they should be held accountable for insisting / assuming that marriage is solely a religious event (otherwise it could not be sacred). It ignores civil law, which we pay him as a legislator to be expert in.

    See why I wanted / still want to give "marriage" to the religions and make only civil partnerships available under the law? That would shut down this nonsense.

    I reply:

    You convinced me a long time ago. Alas, you will have a tough time convincing enough other people to make the change.

    ReplyDelete