Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'd have to clean up before I hired a maid

I got to be looking around my chaotic living room and realized that a bunch of stuff in the two filing cabinets -- like furniture expenses from when I moved to Germany in 1989 -- could be thrown out to make room for stuff that should be filed away. I've done some of that weeding out and along the way found a bunch of photos from when my older nephews were in second grade (they're in their 30s now). It was time to pull out the box of hanging file folders that had been sitting between one filing cabinet and the sofa -- and before you get strange ideas of my décor, this is a wood cabinet, only two drawers tall, and it makes a good end-table. Once the box of folders was out of the way I saw something peeking out from under the sofa. I pulled it out to find a Far Side book and daily calendar, both by Gary Larson, in original shrink-wrap and the calendar is for -- 1999. I've opened up the calendar to use it. Of course, it isn't quite right -- January 8 is a Friday instead of a Thursday, but as long as I enjoy the jokes and don't rely on it…

Of course, it made me think about why it had gotten where it was. Christmas 1998 was the one time (so far) that I hosted the family gathering -- having only 6 of us that day made it possible. My house is small. In the commotion it is quite possible the calendar and book got bumped under the sofa. I remember wondering what happened to it but didn't search very hard. That season was also hectic because a handbell ensemble was performing one of my early arrangements and I went all the way to Fredericksburg, Virginia to hear them play (and ended up being guest conductor for my piece). So what if I enjoy a calendar 10 years late.

No comments:

Post a Comment