Monday, July 20, 2009

Tranquility Base

Ever since the moon landing forty years ago today the phrase "Houston, this is Tranquility Base. The Eagle has landed." gives me goose bumps. Still does. I was newly a teenager that summer. I think our Heathkit color TV was working by then. I had a card table in the living room (where the TV was) and on it I was working on assembling parts of the electronic organ Dad had bought. I was disappointed that the moon program was over before I started college. It's been too long and Mars still beckons.

There were high quality videos taken of the moon mission. Alas, when the shuttle came along and various satellites sent back huge amounts of data, NASA reused all the magnetic tape they had. NASA did have a Hollywood production company restore the TV videos. Let this bring back memories or introduce you to one of the highlights of our species history. Alas, on the NASA site it is in a particular format and my browser says I need another plugin that it can't get, so I got audio only.

All is not lost. Here is a gay site with many of the videos from YouTube, though these versions seem more interested in comparing the original with the restored video.

No comments:

Post a Comment