Monday, July 20, 2009

Watch out for those who ignore honesty and integrity

My friend and debate partner expanded on the three categories of politicians I proposed yesterday. I've lately used the word "enabler" as one who allows someone else to do their worst (such as making excuses for a drunk). I'm sure in this case an "enabler" is one who brings out the best in another.
Perhaps the three categories we seek are
Enablers = Humanists
Exploiters (I was tempted to write "thieves"; the wonderful Yiddish word is "gonif" = "thief".)
Controllers = Authoritarians

Actually, I think exploiters are really controllers of a problematic kind: Authority is always about the preservation of vested selfish interests. Many authoritarians, to their credit, seek to preserve useful structures for good reasons, honestly and with integrity. For example, they preserve the rule of law and social stability (generally forgetting that these must evolve). The exploiters are controllers who ignore honesty and integrity.

Another way to view this is that people are defined by what they know. Enablers know that much is still to be discovered and understood, so they focus on questions, tolerate diverse answers and want people to freely realize their potential. Controllers know the answers and don't want anyone asking questions, which are likely to embarrass them. (I guess exploiters limit their questions to finding the ore in every mine; life is just a matter of getting it out and refined and any answers are fine so long as they address the preferred questions.)

Now, I am not disdainful of self-interest -- it makes the world go 'round. Altruism is generally based in self-interest in some way. A renowned rabbi from the Middle Ages said "If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" This has always been my guide on the subject of selfishness and self-interest.

That comment about honesty and integrity made me think that some who we consider authoritarians -- the Fundies who want to impose their religion on the rest of us -- are really exploiters because they do so with so little of those good qualities. I've ranted often about those who want to display the Ten Commandments and are so willing to defy the 9th to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment