Thursday, October 1, 2009

I have good neighbors

This past Monday and Tuesday were overcast. Wednesday was quite busy. So this afternoon with the sun shining (though the air chilly), I decided it was time for a long bike ride. As in a bit over two hours.

I came down the home stretch and was concerned when I saw an ambulance at the end of the street. What had befallen my neighbors, the ones who had moved in only a year before? Had one of their kids been injured? Who had the ambulance been called for?

Well … me.

My neighbor's father takes the 3 kids to and from school every day. I sometimes see him out my window in the morning. He saw my side garage door open, which he had never seen open before, and saw the car inside. I wasn't in the yard. He tried the doorbell and got no response (it's also broken). He even called out to me. After 25 minutes of no response, he called 911. The paramedics came into the house through the garage (the door to the kitchen was unlocked and I wonder about damages if it had been locked) and walked through the house (they left the kitchen door open on their way out). They were back in the driveway by the time I rode up. Once I greeted them they left. It was then my neighbor told the story.

Alas, the guy who called 911 will probably now be reluctant to call when I really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment