Thursday, October 22, 2009

One ringy-dingy

When a telemarketer calls and launches in to their script I'm pretty quick at interrupting and saying I'm not interested and hanging up. My personal rule is if you called me, I don't want what you're selling. Yes, I'm on the Do-Not-Call list, but that doesn't stop charities and campaigns (and salespeople who don't check the list).

So it might surprise you to hear I was on the other side of the process this evening. I got a chance to live the life of a phone campaigner. It's a rather boring life, however the technology is nifty.

I did this for the Protect Maine Equality campaign (and from my phone here near Detroit). The polls show the issue is tied and will be won by those with the best get-out-the-vote effort. My job was to find out what side of the issue a voter was on, then if they were pro-gay to explain the inverted text of the ballot ("Do you want to reject the new gay marriage law?"). I was also to ask them to vote early (which Maine allows) so the campaign could ignore them, then ask them to volunteer or to donate. I was not to engage with those against gay marriage (nor to explain the inverted question, which I think means I heard one opponent vow to vote for us). I was to engage the undecided, but just a little bit.

The evening started with a web-based meeting to explain the computer system. Alas, I'll probably have a 45 minute charge on my phone for that. Then the fun began. I went to the call website and entered my phone number and a few other things. One of those was what kind of music I wanted to listen to while the computer was dialing -- very important. The computer then called me (meaning all the rest was on their dime). The webpage then had a box with the name of the person being called. A lot of the calls didn't go through -- I could watch the name change. Once I got an answer (and my music stopped) there were answering machines (don't leave an answer, merely tag as "not home") and fax machines (wrong number) to deal with. Then there was the human who frequently responded, "Oh, he's not home." So I didn't go through my call script all that often. And I listened to a lot of music.

When done with a call, I told the computer to disconnect (my line to the computer stayed live), then filled out a questionnaire about what I had learned. Then take a sip of water and tell the computer to go on to the next call. I talked to only one opponent. Several people were supporters, though none volunteered to help or donate. I did correct one person's understanding of the inverted ballot language.

You, too, can call people in Maine -- also donate and volunteer in other ways.

About a week ago I did stay on the line for a caller. She was from the National Rifle Association and said she had a message to play for me and a single question afterwards. I agreed, knowing what was coming. The message was a conspiracy rant about how Hillary was meeting with world leaders to take away our guns. The caller asked, "What do you think about this?" I said, "Sounds good to me!" She thanked me and hung up. I am very aware the purpose of the call wasn't the question. If I said anything like, "That's terrible!" she would have asked for a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment