Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do you know what it means to follow MLK?

I had a few busy days so my reading resulted in notes of things I wanted to comment on. Here's the beginning of today's flood as I catch up.

Those who signed the Manhattan Manifesto (which I've written about before) claimed they are following in the footsteps of Martin Luther King and his principles of civil disobedience. They claim they will not follow any law that disagrees with their stated goals. But they don't understand the concept. Civil disobedience doesn't make threats, certainly not threats to abandon the poor. It doesn't hold the poor hostage. Instead, the one who is disobedient pulls the suffering onto himself -- I will suffer to end this injustice even though I don't deserve it and can avoid it. Its goal is to change hearts as well as minds, relying on the faith and humanity of the opponent.

There is now an Affirmation Declaration in response to the Manhattan Manifesto. I've read parts of it and found nothing new (at least to me). Even so, I'm glad it's out there and tackling the Fundies head-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment