Friday, December 4, 2009

Battles? Wars? Be careful what you say

My friend and debate partner remains unconvinced with my insistence that the war has been won, though battles continue. He wrote:

Your friend and debate partner agrees that there is vast progress against homophobia. Your examples are valid, although I regard examples from California and Massachusetts as from the choir. Time and education are certainly on the side of justice.

But calling the "war won" impresses me as underestimating the opposition and the work ahead. The Catholic Church has evident influence. Fundamentalists are a force in opposition. Republicans are generally united against the cause. Hate crimes against gays continue. There are a lot of under-educated Americans who respond from their fears, especially in bad economic times.

Discrimination is a virulent disease that won't die away easily. Celebrating too soon costs momentum and motivation. I wouldn't set up my thinking in that manner at this point in the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment