Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thankfully, no Christmas drama

I spent a quiet Christmas Day with my parents, sister, and niece. Opening presents took maybe 15 minutes. My niece wanted to read the books I got her for Christmas. So I asked Sis to get out the 500 piece jigsaw puzzle I had brought at Thanksgiving (which my niece had barely started) and Dad and I put it together. Definitely quiet.

At least I can do that. Here are stories from many gays and transgenders who became estranged from their birth families when they come out, mostly over religious reasons. I should note these are the survivors (many others commit suicide). They create for themselves a hanai family. This is a Hawaiian term that refers to people who live together as family, whether or not they are related. These families are sometimes better than birth families because hanai families want to be together.

"Gays are the only oppressed minority born into families of the oppressor." -- John Rechy.


A blogger asks who should Santa be extra nice to this year? Many people volunteered their heroes, those who have been activists for gay causes or politicians who insist gays are worthy of rights. I recognize most the names, though if you aren't a consistent reader of gay blogs some of these people won't be familiar. It's good to see all the nominations.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Winter Solstice, and Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment