Saturday, July 31, 2010

Following Christ without being Christian

Ann Rice, famous for writing several vampire novels (I think Tom Cruise starred in one when it was made into a movie), had a life-threatening illness back in 2004. That prompted her to embrace her Catholic roots. After that, her books were about Jesus, such as one imagining his early life. While she still considers herself a follower of Jesus, she now refuses to call herself a Christian. She wrote:

Gandhi famously said: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” When does a word (Christian) become unusable? When does it become so burdened with history and horror that it cannot be evoked without destructive controversy?

And later:

For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten …years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

And:

I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of …Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

A commenter suggests she is far too Christian to be one.

Though I still attend a Christian church, I know how she feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment