Sunday, June 19, 2011

Signs of eventual total takeover

Through gerrymandering (as my other post today shows) the GOP can maintain an edge in Congress and state legislatures. I saw a couple things over the last week that point to what the GOP wants to do to the country.

I went to my local library last week (interlibrary loan is great!) and was asked for my driver's license. I didn't have it with me because I came by bicycle. They wanted it because a couple nearby suburbs voted to shut down their libraries (lack of money) and residents from those cities lost reciprocal privileges at my local library. The librarian wanted to verify I did indeed live where I said I did. It also turns out my card expires every 3 years, in case I move out of the area. I agree local city budgets are under a lot of strain. I don't know the party affiliation of the politicians involved (most city elections around here are "non-partisan"). But killing the library?

Since the 1970s and quite a bit in the last couple years has been the repeated story that college isn't worth the time and money. That has resonated a lot lately because of the high cost of a diploma and the high unemployment rate. But a story on All Things Considered on NPR yesterday says it simply isn't true (and never has been). Even with the economy in the dumps and a lot of fifty-somethings downsized from high-paying jobs, those with college degrees are still doing better than those without.

I'm sure there are other education related things (like the reduction in Pell Grants) that I don't have details on at the moment.

I look at these things and think of the GOP wanting to take over government. Closing libraries and convincing the general population that college isn't worth it are both ways to keep the lower classes too stupid to understand how damaging total GOP control would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment