Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Incentives for more people in prison

A company that runs prisons has "suggested" to Gov. Snyder that Michigan privatize its prison system. I was alerted to this by the Church and Society board of my denomination. This is one of many areas that the GOP will consider turning over to private enterprise to "save" money. The big problem is that the only way for this company to boost profits is to incarcerate more people, which is bad news all around. In addition, I don't want a corporation advocating for harsher sentencing laws to benefit their bottom line and I don't want more people excluded from voting because of a jail record. You may contact Snyder here (yeah, that is a request for help, not a box to submit an opinion, but that's where the link took me).

Here is a link to the background supplied by Church and Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment