Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Oh the weather outside is frightful

Well, not yet… But there are predictions for a nasty storm heading up the Ohio Valley tomorrow and we (parents, sis, niece, and I) have to pass through there to get to Kentucky where more family is gathering. The worst report was for Cincinnati, which would have sleet, rain, snow, and icy roads about the time we would drive through. So, in the last half hour before any penalties my dad called the hotel and cancelled tomorrow night. We'll consider again tomorrow evening. While Cincinnati may get only an inch, precipitation forecast maps suggest the area between Toledo and Cincinnati might get more than six inches. Even here in Detroit (predicted to get a "glancing blow") may get 3-7 inches.

I saw a few references to this idea when my dad and I were checking weather alerts along our route. But checking just now I didn't see it and it took a bit of searching. This idea is the naming of big winter storms to correspond to hurricane names. A big difference is the naming will be done by the Weather Channel, not by the winter counterpart to the National Hurricane Center (because there isn't one). The rationale is given here. I suppose it is a good idea. But Euclid? And if that rolls trippingly off the tongue, slated for later this winter is Orko and Ukko. All rightie now.

My dad has already picked up the minivan we'll use on our travels to Kentucky. But since my sister is the designated driver, the whole thing had to be put on her credit card, even though it is actually the same account. On my way home after visiting them today I followed my sister back to the airport so I could be added as a driver. For once my dad decided to leave the driving to us.

While at the rental counter sis said to the clerk, "Do you have a book or something to tell me how all the controls in the car work? It took me until I got home to find the lever to get the steering wheel out of my lap." A few years ago I rented a car and had a flat tire. I couldn't find the spare (it hung from below) and there was no user manual in the glove box. I later heard the books are removed because otherwise they'd be stolen. Either way, no manual.

The clerk said, "Just use your smart phone and scan this QR code in the key fob and it will tell you everything you need to know."

Sis responded, "I don't have a smart phone."

Though the clerk said it in a much nicer way, her answer was essentially, "Well, you're screwed." There seems to be this assumption that everyone is up on the latest gadgets. She did take a few moments to answer specific questions Sis had.



A bit of humor to end this evening. One of the criticisms (excuses) why gay people should be discouraged from being gay is we, on our own, can't reproduce. Doonesbury from this past Sunday neatly turns that on its head.

No comments:

Post a Comment